Dr. Jennifer Hone, an endocrinologist at CCUIH’s member clinic, American Indian Health & Services , has started Walk With a Doc in Santa Barbara, in an effort to prevent diabetes, heart disease, and other other health problems.
Dr. Hone facilitates a one-mile Walk With a Doc Thursdays at Shoreline Park in Santa Barbara, during which participants have the opportunity to discuss health questions with her and other participating medical professionals. This weekly event is free and open to the public.
Research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
– Reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes
– Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
– Enhance mental well being
– Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
– Improve blood lipid profile
– Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
– Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
Click here to read the full article by the Santa Barbara News-Press and learn more about Dr. Hone and the Walk With a Doc program.